What to do in Berlin
What to do in Berlin
Berlin is probably one of the most interesting cities I have ever been. The city regarding beauty as a whole does not have that much to offer you, except a few nice buildings. The city was mostly destroyed during the second world war. Due to this fact, the city changed its historical buildings for modern ones. However, the history of this lovely city will always be there. Berlin has been the main character in most of the events that have to do with Europe history and you can see that while walking Berlin’s streets. There are a myriad of things to do so, plan your day and enjoy this wonderful place.
East Side Gallery
- This is definitely a place to visit in Berlin. East Side Gallery is nothing but art embodied in history. Walking from one side to the other is like being in an open art gallery.
- There is no that much to see in Brandemburg Gate but so much to say. This is one of the most importants icons in Germany.
- This is a governmental building located near Brandenburg gate. The building is quite cool and if you go to the top a nice view can be seen. You can also enjoy the amazing structure that they have set at the top.
- The TV tower is located in Alexander Platz (East downtown ). It is the tallest building in Berlin. You can go to the top of it but you would have to wait for a long time to do so. You can buy tickets online but you better do it ahead of time
- This is another icons in Berlin. It is a big cathedral located in the Museums Island. The building is very fascinating and if you want to see more instead of just seeing it from outside, you can pay to go to the top of it.
Berlin Wall museum – Nordbahnhof
- If you want to learn a little bit more about Berlin Wall, go to this place. Located in the north of the city, this place will take you back in time so you can have a really nice experience while reading and watching videos about Berlin Wall. Next to Nordbahnhof station there is a big piece of the wall from Berlin Wall stood up. There is also a control tower between the walls and a very interesting museum that you can visit for free.
- This is probably one of those places that I don’t recommend that much. However, if you want to see some Nazi concentrations camps this could be the closest option to Berlin. Not that much to say about this.
- This angel is located right in front of Brandenburg Gate around 3 km away. You can go to the top of it and enjoy the view of Tiergarten and part of Berlin.
- This big palace used to be a summer house of the king in 1704. The building is very beautiful and walking around its gardens is also a nice plan. They have 2 museums inside the palace. One of the contains old representations and the other one is more modern.
- The zoo is supposed to be one of the best in Europe. They have a wide range of many animals that you have probably never seen in your life.
- It is a beautiful square located in Mitte. In this place there are 2 churches with almost the same style. One of them is French and the other one German. In the middle of them there is a nice building where they usually hold concerts
- This is one of the most famous universities in berlin for its 29 nobel prices and the students such as Albert Einstein that have studied there. The main campus and its library are beautiful buldings that are worth a visit at least from the outside.
- This is a pretty cool place to visit specialy in Summer. It is a big park with a lake in the middle. People usually take baths in there or just chill out while enjoying the weather. There are a few more lakes around the area. One of them have this special beach that you can compare with Cancún, haha!
Berlin Holocaust Memorial
- One block away from Brandemburger Gate this memorial is located. There are more than 2.000 columns representing what happened in the second world war. The meaning of all these columns is still unknown. There is also a museum underneath this memorial that can be visited for free. It is about Jewish during WWII. It is a bit hard though.
Take the boat around the city
- This is a nice plan as long as weather helps. Berlin has some canals that you can discover by taking a boat trip. The city gets another perspective and some common places become more beautiful if you see them from another angle.
Memorial church Kaiser Wilhelm
- This church was bombed during WWII. The top of it as well as half of its structure is gone. There is some history to read inside the church and some nice photos of the area before the war.
- If you are thinking about chilling in a park, go to Tempelhofer Feld. There are different areas in the east side where people either settle their blankets for a picnic or get ready for a BBQ.
- This place used to be one of the crossing point when the Berlin wall existed. Nowadays it is full of shops and some people who wait in line to take a photo with guys dressed up as military
- You definitely need to visit this park if you are in Berlin for a Sunday. The park gets lots of people ready to enjoy the flea market and get some amazing discounts on second hands things. There is also a funny karaoke going on that most of the people visit. What’s more, the park is quite big and you can also set you picnic in some of its areas.
I hope you find this information useful and interesting. If you have any other place that you recomend please leave it in the comments.
You can also find more information in this awesome blog from Nomadicmatt. He is a blogger that has travel a lot and has always good advices.
Thanks for reading.